Monday, May 3, 2010

Goal #18 - Taking in Some Local Theatre

Goal #18 - Attend five plays, musicals, or symphonies.

I was able to see two local plays this weekend - one by Valley Christian High School, and the other by Waypoint Theatre Company - the community theater in Tucson that I used to work with.

First of all-  ::SIGH:: I love theater and I miss being a part of it more than I can say. Indulge me briefly by allowing a moment of bitter-sweet nostalgia, won't you?

 (Arms and the Man by George Bernard Shaw. I played Raina and spoke in a sugary, high-pitched voice that would rival any Disney Princess and wore a head-full of ringlets which had a personality all their own.)

 (King Lear by William Shakespeare. I played the evil Gonoril - a murdering adulteress who kills both her sisters and drives her father to insanity in order to steal his throne. Incredible play and the most challenging, deliciously wicked part I've ever played.)

But alas, I will return to the reality that I am only an observer of theater for the time being...

When I saw my old Waypoint Theatre director, Melanie this weekend, I literally burst into tears - I miss my theater family and being on stage that much. It is safe to say that in the past five years, whenever I return home to see a Waypoint production, Melanie and I will inevitably end up in a tearful embrace. Waypoint, and theater in general, was such a huge part of my life for so long (I acted in my first major production when I was eleven) that being reminded of what I'm missing is always emotional for me.

But oh my, did the old gang do fantastically! It was such a joy to see them again and watch them perform some first-rate theater, far above the typical "community theater" fare. Trip to Bountiful was the production and the lead actress was an energetic 88-year-old woman who played the part of Carrie Watts with oodles of charm and heart-felt emotion. She brought me to tears on a number of occasions. Breanne Muncrief (my brother David's girlfriend) was stickin' adorable as Thelma (and that's not just bias speaking). The whole cast was wonderful and made for a very strong ensemble performance.

Devin was able to accompany me to the hilarious perform by Valley Christian High School of Murder at Crooked House - an audience participation murder mystery. I was quite impressed with the level of performances given by some of the students. The caricature-like body postures of Cassie Hawk and Christian Murphy were an absolute hoot. The physical comedy of Taylor Kortman reminded me of Jim Carry in Liar, Liar. Kelton White played Chief Inspector Noucleau and gave a spot-on impression of Insp. Jacques Clouseau (Steve Martin's character in Pink Panter) that had us keeled over with laughter continuiously. However, he seemed to smirk slightly every time he delivered a line he knew was funny, which was a bit tiresome.

The show-stopper of the evening however was Ms. Hillary Johnson, a novice performer who completely stole the show with her near-perfect Scottish dialect and hysterical characterization. I had to catch my breath from laughing so hard at her antics. Bravo Hillary, I never would have believed this was your first time on stage - you are a natural!

It was so good to take in some theater again. Now I just have to figure out how to accomplish Goal #20- Act in a play in the next 954 days!


Q4U- What is "long lost love of..." that you'd like to get involved in again?

1 comment:

  1. Love you Jen! I know Waypoint misses you. We talked about you again at our pow wow last night. Let's do a play together!! Melanie said we can "skype rehearse" with you haha.
    <3 Bre

    ReplyDelete

Got some Notions of your own about this post? Share them!