Friday, July 23, 2010

Wierd Things Happen When There's No Rain

Seriously, people in Arizona get a little batty when anticipating the rainy season during a dessert summer. After enduring throat-parching heat since mid-April and knowing that our next reprieve from the 100+ degree temperatures won't arrive until late October, the bless'ed weeks of monsoon storms during late July are a cherished moment in the life of Arizonians.

Point and Case:

The other night, while working in our at home office, Devin and I heard thunder and what sounded like rain (finally!) Being the rain-deprived Arizona kids that we are, we both got giant grins on our faces and raced out to the back porch to see the rain. When we ran outside and I heard the rain, I tossed up my arms in delight and let out a exuberant “WOO-HOO!” This echoed loudly off the other apartments in our complex. It was at that moment that I realized what I had heard as rain was actually people splashing in the pool just below our patio, mixed with the wind rustling through the trees. There was no rain. Just some crazy lady shouting “Woo-hoo” at the people in the pool below.

But in my defense (wow, now I really do sound crazy), it is truly a monumental event when the first rain of monsoon season hits the parched dessert and it’s inhabitants. I don’t (generally) run around shouting “Woo-hoo” at the top of my lungs in public places, but for the joy that is rain – I made an exception... And learned my lesson in doing so.

I love the "You Know You're In Arizona When..." lists that are scattered across the internet and emblazoned in the hearts of Arizona natives.. Live Survive in Arizona long enough and these expressions will become vital truths in your own life:

You Know You’re In Arizona When...
  • You no longer associate bridges or rivers with water.
  • You can hear the weather forecast of 115 degrees without flinching.
  • The best parking spot is determined by shade... not distance.
  • You run your air conditioner in the middle of winter so you can use your fireplace. (It’s true – I’ve done it!)
  • It's noon in July, kids are on summer vacation and yet all the streets are complete devoid of both cars and people.
  • You can understand the reason for a town named "Why"
  • Due to summer hibernation, Easter weekend is the last time you will see your friends and neighbors until Halloween.
  • You think someone driving while wearing oven mitts is clever.
  • A rainy day puts you in a good mood.
  • The temperature drops below 85 and you feel a bit chilly.
To solidify my point, below are two photographs of me in college. During a late monsoon downpour, my friends and I joyfully played in the rain like five-year-olds until thoroughly soaked. Oh yes... we may have also stole a shopping cart and pushed each other through huge puddles whilst sitting inside said shopping cart... Like I said... weird things happen when there's no rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some Notions of your own about this post? Share them!