Thursday, November 4, 2010

Goal #3 - COMPLETE

Another goal checked off my Project 101 in 1001 list. Read about my journey here.


Goal #3 - Take a sewing class

Don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely sewing-inept. I've sewn stuff before. When I was little, my cousins and I would dig through my grandma's sewing room (a magical wonderland bursting with fabric patterns from a completely different world, that is - the 60s and 70s) and hand-sew some rather shoddy pillows. This was considered high-entertainment for nine-year-olds spending their summers on a dairy farm.

My sewing skills have since graduated considerably (thanks to some tips from my mama), as have my pillow-making abilities. I made these throw pillows for our living room (as well all the curtains in our apartment):




So I know how to sew and the basics of a sewing machine. However, when it comes to sewing clothing, or anything that is not rectangular in shape, even level one patterns leave me completely baffled. (Don't even talk to me about hems and darts and bias-whatchamacallits. And basting? Isn't that a cooking term??)

So I took a sewing class at Joann's hoping to take my sewing skills to the next level. Unfortunately, I was not as confident in my talents as I should have been and signed up for the Sewing 101 class. I quickly discovered that I knew a lot more than I thought I did and ended up being the impromptu class assistant for the very nice Indian lady sewing next to me.

Fearful that I was wasting my $35 tuition learning things I already knew, I began asking the instructor questions. While she was busy showing the class how to thread a bobbin, I was interjecting with questions like, "What is a zipper foot?" "How do I sew button holes?" "What does 'baste' mean?" Hopefully I didn't annoy her too badly with my Sewing 201-level questions. I did try to be respectful.

On to the next step I charge - Goal #4: Sew an article of clothing and wear it in public.

::GULP::

Here's what I'm working on:



 Looks simple enough, right? Right?!

6 comments:

  1. Oooh! You took the class I want to take...but just can't make myself! I'm so worried that I'll be so behind everyone else that I'll annoy the instructor with things like, "Where is the power button...?" So I guess, better to be ahead, than behind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and if you can learn to make that dress, I'd totally buy one from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also buy that dress from you. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sewing is the one thing I can confidently say that I will never, ever, EVER try. The Bengals pillow I made in 8th grade Home Ec was enough to put me over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would buy that dress for you as well. Seriously. Wasn't one of your goals to work from home?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your pillows...they are beautiful. Do you sell them?

    I have finally had time to catch back up with your blog. Thanks for sharing so honesty about "sharing the Lord in words" ~ I too have no problem sharing with my actions, in my blog and with friends but with strangers that is a totally different story. I think about our last seven months with the carnival - yes our actions shared we are believers in the Lord, but did I share specifically with someone about having Christ in their life - no. I need to pray for the courage to step out to do that when the opportunity presents itself. Thanks for the reminder to be bold in my Love for the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Got some Notions of your own about this post? Share them!