Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Best Christmas EVER

You've no doubt heard it said "'tis better to give than to receive." This has been true in my experience and this past Christmas, I discovered a form of gift-giving that brought even more meaning to that sage advice. I discovered 'tis better to give and receive in a way that blesses the giver, the gifted and someone in need. I'm not kidding folks - I have never experienced so much joy through giving and receiving gifts as I did this Christmas.

If you read this post, then you know that Devin and I made a point this Christmas to purchase unique gifts for our friends and family that would also help someone in need. We also requested that our families give us gifts that did the same. The ones who did blessed the socks off of us (not to mention blessed someone less fortunate in the process)!

My sister-in-law, Shannon gave me a beautiful jewelry set (pictured right) from World Craft Village which helped an artisan living in India support their family.

My parents gave me some adorable Punjammies pajama bottoms which helped women in India escape forced prostitution.

My favorite gift was that my dad gave gifts to World Concern on behalf of everyone in our family. My three youngest siblings received 20 chickens for a family in need, my brother and his girlfriend got 12 ducks, Mom (a "farm girl" and avid gardener) got a vegetable garden, and Devin and I got a piglet - all gifts that help families living in poverty-stricken countries feed and support their families. (Read about the Christmas project Devin and I did for World Concern here.) 

20 chickens, 12 ducks, a veggie garden and a pig!

On the giving end of things, I had so much fun finding gifts that would help those in need and uniquely bless those who received the gifts. Over 50% of Devin and my gifts fell into this "double-gifting" category and we were honored to purchased items that benefited ex-prostitutes, kids in foster care, Iraqi children in need of life-saving heart operations, along with a number of poor artisans from around the world. This is absolutely something we will keep doing in the future - it brought joy in so many ways and opened up some really neat conversations with those we love. 
"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." - Luke 6:38

1 comment:

Got some Notions of your own about this post? Share them!