Monday, February 28, 2011

Goal #90 COMPLETE: My Look-Book

I had all kinds of cool goals scheduled for February - learn to ski, go rock climbing... but then life got in the way and I found myself without the time, money or physical ability (I was sick with bronchitis for over a week) to complete those goals. Which made me a little frustrated, because I'm a planner and in order to keep on track with Project 101 in 1001, I've got to check off three goals each month. Afraid of falling behind, I scrambled through my List to find a few goals that I could accomplish with little strain on my wallet, schedule, or health.

I stopped drinking coffee for one and then, I got busy finding photography inspiration for a "look-book."

Goal #90 COMPLETE: Create a “look-book” of photography ideas/inspiration

My graphic design professor in college always said, "You can't design in a vacuum." In other words, if you aren't filling your brain with great creative work, you won't have anything to draw inspiration from when you go to design something yourself. This is why fine artists take art history classes and why writers read lots and lots of books. The same rule applies to photography.

As I strive to be a better photographer, I need to learn from those who are already great. I need to see what they're doing - how they're posing their models and what setting/lighting/composition works for them. As I fill my mind with those images, 1) I will have ideas to draw from when I'm on a shoot and 2) I'll start to become a better, more confident photographer (and of more use to my photographer husband.)

This whole idea sort of reminds me of the verse, "Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks" (Luke 6:45.) What you put in, comes out. 

So here is my look-book, built with handy see-through sleeve pages which will allow me to keep adding inspiration when I find it:

1 comment:

Got some Notions of your own about this post? Share them!