Thursday, February 17, 2011

Uganda Update: Amazima Ministries

Days 8-9:
Ministry Spotlight: Amazima Ministries

This ministry is extra-special-close to my heart and it seems unreal that I will actually get to meet and serve with the incredible woman who started it.

Amazima means "Truth" in the local Luganda language and this ministry cares for over 400 of Uganda's orphaned children. The ministry also has a feeding program that provides meals to over 1,200 children - children living in the slums who would otherwise have to scrounge and beg for their food. The beaded crosses that I make (see the button on the left side of my blog?) help this same feeding program. One meal for a child in Africa costs only 15 cents and one "We're All in This Together" cross provides 42 meals. I am thrilled to get to meet some of the children for whom I've made these crosses. What an incredible moment that will be!

(from Katie's blog)
Amazima was how I first heard about Visiting Orphans (the group we are traveling with). I stumbled upon founder Katie Davis' blog and was instantly captivated by this young woman's unbelievable story. After spending a summer teaching at Canaan's Children's Home, Katie knew she would not be returning to her home in Tennessee. She had fallen in love with the Ugandan people and knew God was calling her to minister to them permanently. She established Amazima Ministries in 2008. The most unbelievable part (to me at least) is that since her move to Uganda, she has become the mother (legal guardian) to 14 orphaned girls, three of which she will soon to be able to legally adopt. But it gets more incredible then that: Katie Davis is just twenty-one-years old and single.

"Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity." - 1 Timothy 4:12 

Um - YEAH. That verse has "Katie Davis" written all over it, or rather, Katie Davis has that verse written all over her. And we get to work with her. This incredible young women who has allowed God to so fully and completely use her for His glory - we get to stand beside her and serve the people of Uganda. Humbling.

We will spend two days working with Katie and Amazima's feeding program. I. CAN. NOT. WAIT! 

To learn more about Amazima Ministries click here.

1 comment:

  1. I found your Uganda letter in a book I was reading, and the girls and I were looking at it last night. I had forgotten about Katie and am so in awe of what God is doing through her. THRILLED that you get to work with her!!

    ReplyDelete

Got some Notions of your own about this post? Share them!